T3:39 AM

COMPLEX SENTENCES WITH ADVERBIAL CLAUSES


A. Complex Sentence

A complex sentence is composed of more than one sentence. A sentence is a set of words that at least has a subject (S), a predicate (P), and an object (O) if there is any, and that has a complete meaning. Essentially, a complex sentence is a sentence which consists of more than one simple sentence. A simple sentence is a sentence that has one S, one P, and one O if necessary. Consequently, a complex sentence has more than one S, one P, and one O if there is any. A sentence that exists in the complex sentence is called clause. Then, a complex sentence has two kinds of clauses: a main clause (an independent clause) and a sub(ordinate) clause (a dependent clause). A main clause is a clause that can stand by itself in the sense that it has a complete meaning in the absence of a sub clause. Conversely, a sub clause is a clause which depends on a main clause, and which means nothing without a main clause. A complex sentence is a sentence which has more than one S, one P, one O if necessary; which has a main clause as well as a sub clause; and which has a complete meaning (Also see COMPLEX SENTENCES WITH NOUN CLAUSESHere, an adverbial clause does the function of a sub clause. Thus, an adverbial clause is a clause, particularly a sub clause,  which functions as an adverbial or as an adverbial phrase. In this respect, each sub clause is not always an adverbial clause (Also see COMPLEX SENTENCES WITH ADJECTIVE CLAUSES).

B. Kind of Adverbial Clause

1. Adverbial Clause of Time
Its conjunctions are when, whenever, while, as soon as, since, before, after, until / till.
Examples:
He came in when I was typing.
Explanations:
Here, "He came in .…" is the main clause or the independent clause, which can stand by itself, or which has a complete meaning. Meanwhile, "when I was typing." is the sub clause or the dependent clause, which does not have any complete meaning, and it depends on the main clause. In this case, such a dependent clause does the function of an adverbial clause of time.
The other examples:
I have been busy since I last saw you.
I left just as he entered.

2. Adverbial Clause of Place
Its conjunctions are where, wherever, as far as.
Examples:
I put the flash disk where I found it.I shall go wherever you go.I shall come as far as I can.

3. Adverbial Clause of Manner
Its conjunctions are as, as if / as though.
Examples:
Pronounce the word as I do.She talks as if she KNEW everything.He behaves as if he WERE a manager.

4. Adverbial Clause of Cause / Reason
Its conjunctions are because, as, since, now that, seeing that, considering that, in that.
Examples:
As / Since there was no one there, I went away.He was absent from work because he was sick.

5. Adverbial Clause of Concession
Its conjunctions are although, though, even though, in spite of the fact that, for all that, notwithstanding (the fact that).
Examples:Although they felt tired, they worked hard.He went out in spite of the fact that the weather was bad.

6. Adverbial Clause of Condition
Its conjunctions are if, unless, on condition that, provided that, providing that, as long as, so long as.
Examples:
If I FIND your pen, I SHALL GIVE it to you. [Type I (for the future)]
If I FOUND your pen, I SHOULD give it to you. [Type II (for the present)]
If I HAD FOUND your pen, I SHOULD HAVE GIVEN it to you. (= Had I FOUND your pen, I SHOULD HAVE GIVEN it to you) [Type III (for the past)] 
If I HAVE much money, I SHALL BUY a house for you. [Type I (for the future)]
If I HAD (full verb) much money, I SHOULD BUY a house for you. [Type II (for the present)]
If I HAD (helping verb) HAD (full verb) much money, I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT a house for you. (= Had I HAD much money, I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT a house for you) [Type III (for the past)] 
If he WERE here, we should be happy. [Type II (for the present)]
Unless he does the work, he will not be paid.I will accept the job offer provided that I am provided with fringe benefits.

7. Adverbial.Clause of Contingency
Its conjunction is in case.
Example:
He wore two watches in case either of them stopped.

8. Adverbial Clause of Purpose
Its conjunctions are so that, in order that, so as that.
Examples:
I have written it very clearly so that they CAN read it very easily.
He ran quickly in order that he MIGHT not be late.
She went to the theatre early in order that she MIGHT get a seat.

9. Adverbial Clause of Effect or Result
Its conjunctions are so + adjective / adverb + that, or such + noun(s) + that.
Examples:
The weather was so warm that I did not wear a coat.
We arrived so early that we had to wait for over an hour.
She is such a shy person that she dislikes talking to strangers.

10. Adverbial Clause of Comparison
Its conjunctions are as + adjective / adverb + as, than, more than.
Examples:
He is as tall as his father is.
She does it as well as I do.
He is taller than I am.
She likes you more than I do.

11. Adverbial Clause of Reservation
Its conjunctions are except that, except for the fact that.
Example:
It is a good plan except that it misses out a visit to Yogyakarta.

12. Adverbial Clause of Proportion
Example:
The hardER he worked, the happIER he felt.
ENGLISH-ENGLISH GRAMMAR
ENGLISH-ENGLISH GRAMMAR Updated at: 3:39 AM